Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Moving, Moving, Moving

I am in the process of moving from one apartment to another within the next week. It will be the first of two moves this summer. It is unsettling to say the least, but I am reminded that movement--conversatio morum, change of life, "continual conversion and ongoing transformation"--is as much a part of Benedictine life as stabilitas, stability. It is all part of the opus Dei, the work of God.

The quote above is from Benedictine scholar Esther de Waal's book To Pause at the Threshold. I read this book four years ago at this time when I was contemplating a change after receiving my first seminary degree. (A notation I made in the book even reads "5/06.") I've re-read the portions I had highlighted almost yearly since then. Today the following jumps out at me:

"Our God is a God who moves and he invites us to move with him. He wants to pry us away from anything that might hold us too securely: our careers, our family systems, our money making. We must be ready to disconnect. There comes a time when the things that were undoubtedly good and right in the past must be left behind, for there is always the danger that they might hinder us from moving forward and connecting with the one necessary thing, Christ himself. ... I am called upon to move forward to hand over the past freely, putting it behind me, and moving on with hands open and ready for the new." (p. 55-56)

So amidst the boxes, packing tape and markers, I am preparing to do just that--both inwardly and outwardly. The next time I write, it will be from a new place in all senses of the word. Stay tuned.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, incredible! Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Vicki. I started reading your blog today and was drawn into reading all the past ones as well. You are a very good writer. I especially appreciated the quote in Moving, Moving. I will look forward to many more of your reflections!

    Barb Lay Bolton

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Vikki,
    Now that I am on a break from my own packing, I decided to check email and for the first time, realized your blog note at the end! Inspiring and encouraging. Keep it up. We are due another post.
    Blessings,
    Desrene

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true. They are in my head. I just have to get them out on the screen! Godspeed. I'll miss you!

    ReplyDelete